Monday, March 12, 2018

Review: Sugar Pine Trail

* Book 7 in the Haven Point series *

Sugar Pine Trail (Haven Point, #7)
Julia Winston’s been putting her life on hold for everyone else around her. With her parents both deceased, her life has become empty. She must start living again. At a book club, she writes down a bucket list for the year. Julia know she’s not really going to achieve her goals, but she can’t be the only person without a goal. Plus she needs to come out of her comfort zone.

She’s renting out the upstairs of her house to her friend’s devastatingly handsome brother. She knows that a librarian isn’t his type, but a girl can dream. Julia can barely hold a conversation with him without blushing, but she can’t go back on her decision now. Hopefully all their encounters won’t be so awkward.

When she notices brothers in the library day after day, she starts to worry about them. Julia gives them a ride home one night when she spies them walking alone at night after the library closed. She discovers that their mother left them three days ago and hasn’t returned. The older boy, who’s eight, has been doing his best, but there’s no heat in their place. Julia calls Child Services. When she realizes that the boys will have to move towns and will likely be split up, she offers up her home.

Jamie finds Julia at her wits end and stays to help out. From that moment, things take a turn. They make a plan for Thanksgiving, which involves Jamie’s family. Their holiday isn’t the same, but they forget about their family troubles for just a bit.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book in the series. Haven Point crossed with Hope's Crossing in this book. I haven't read Hope's Crossing, but clearly it's on my list on books to read. I think knowing those characters would enhance the story for readers, but it's not necessary to enjoy this one. Of course, I loved seeing favorite characters again and meeting with Caine family. I enjoyed reading more about them. I loved the two boys. Clint and Davy stole the book for me with their antics. I felt terrible for them, but loved how they made a home with Julia. I really liked the interactions between Jamie and Julia - how they both thought they were stereotypes, but how they helped each other break out of their rules. They both had sad pasts, but helped each other move past them. Another great book in this series, I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

Cover Thoughts: Charming, but this and the title do not really fit with the story
Source: My Library
Reviewed: Also for Fresh Fiction
Library Recommendation: Grab this series for your public library!

No comments: