Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Picture Book Review: Long-Armed Ludy


Long-Armed Ludy and the First Women's Olympics

Lucile “Ludy” Godbold was six feet tall and skinnier than a Carolina pine and an exceptional athlete. In her final year on the track team at Winthrop College in South Carolina, Ludy tried the shot put and she made that iron ball sail with her long, skinny arms. But when Ludy qualified for the first Women's Olympics in 1922, Ludy had no money to go. (from the publisher)

A great picture book biography - I knew nothing about Ludy but I'm so impressed by her determination and her hard work. I admired her for sticking to her true self. I loved the bit about sweat. I loved learning more about this amazing woman and the people who helped make her dreams come true.

A great book for both school and public libraries. And a great book for Women's History Month.

No comments: