Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tween Tuesday Review: Football Genius

Yes, I realize it's Thursday, but I had something else I needed to post on Tuesday, so I just switches days, but I want people to be able to search for it if needed under the usual headings. So...

Troy can predict football plays before they happen once he get into the mindset. Although he's on the team for his school, he mostly plays the bench while the coach's son plays QB. Troy can read the field and throw better than Jamie, but he rarely gets the opportunity to play, which frustrates him.

When Troy's mom gets a job with the Atlanta Falcons, Troy thinks it could be his big break. He could help the Falcons win games, especially since they've been losing lately.  He could meet the players and become part of something bigger - if only he could get someone to listen to him.
My Thoughts: With each sports books I read, I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of them. I really liked the relationship between Troy and his mom. She worked really hard as a single mom, both at her job, but also in making sure that Troy has manners and morals. While they were at odds for most of the book, their relationship gave the book depth. Tate and Nathan were great friends, sometime helping Troy get into trouble, but there for him at all times. Everyone needs friends like them. I liked Seth and how he started to believe in Troy and how he didn't take no for an answer.  Sometime we just need that one person believing in us and that makes all the difference.

Cover Thoughts: Good - although it isn't a scene from the book.
Source: My Library

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't read many YA sports books (although I LOVE sports movies, so I don't know why that is). But Tim Green is one I have been meaning to pick up, if only to have something to recommend to my reluctant reader boys. Thanks for the review!