Sunday, July 2, 2023

On Reader's Advisory

 


I chatted briefly about how reader's advisory is one of the favorite parts of my job as a librarian. And in the summer months, it happens almost daily. 

We see so many people in the library during the summer - partly because it's summer and they have time and partly because we have SO MUCH happening in the summer in terms of programming. 

Sometimes I'm in a program and we just happen to talk about books - favorite books, what people are reading, and book suggestions spiral from there. 

But often times kids with their parents are coming in asking for book recommendations. Sometimes they run out of book titles and they need suggestions. Which I enjoy. We talk about what they like in a book and I load them up with other books. 

But the ones that tug at my heartstrings the most are the kids or teens who aren't readers. 

I'm not worried about the parent. After the initial greeting, I talk primarily to the reader.

After all the "reference interview" questions -

1. Do you like to read?
2. What kinds of movies/TV shows do you watch
3. What are your hobbies?
4. Do you like Sports?
5. Are you a foodie?

Once we find something they enjoy, then we can find the right book for them. I tell them I can talk about books all day and they aren't going to hurt my feelings if they tell me they aren't interested in a book. We talk through a number of books until we find one that appeals to them. It might take 10 books or 30 books. They might think the first book sounds great. It really all depends on the reader. I am patient as I walk through our library's collection. 

I do ask them to come back and let me know what they think. And that is the best part. I love seeing if they felt a connection to the book. It's amazing when they ask for another book, just like this one. 

And if I failed, failure is a part of life, and we start over again. 

No comments: