Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wintergirls


In celebration of the release of WINTERGIRLS (which I have yet to read, but have a hold on it - still I know it's going to be fabulous.) I've put together a listing of other teen titles that talk about similar weight issues. This is an issue that everyone faces (not just women). Some of it stems from critical comments from "friends" or family. Some of it stems from Hollywood looks - where being thin makes you better. Some of it stems from magazines and media - idealizing the perfect body shape. Some of it stems from clothing stores that rarely sell normal size clothing. All of these bombard women with the societal view of the idealized woman.

BUT everyone's different, unique, and special. It's hard to stop analyzing yourself and becoming comfortable in your own skin - but it IS possible.



Check out WHY Laurie Halse Anderson wrote this book:

2 comments:

Readingjunky said...

Thanks for all these suggestions. The only one I've read is PURGE. I'll be on the lookout for the others.

Sadako said...

I've heard really good things about Purge, but hadn't heard of any of the others (except, of course, Wintergirls), so I'm going to try to read them soon, after I get my copy of Wintergirls.

The interview with Laurie Halse Anderson is great. Sad that so many ppl have this problem, but great that she's trying to do something to address it.