Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: One Times Square

A historical look at One Times Square - from farm land to a legendary landmark.

My Thoughts: I don't normally read nonfiction, unless the subject catches my eye. It's a genre I struggle with at times. I read a great review of this in PW and put it on my to-read list.

This nonfiction read is perfect for tween readers. I loved learning about this space as it changed from farm land to a place for hotels and newspapers to billboards and New Year's Eve celebrations. Subways, World War II ending, and baseball scores played a part in the history. 

I loved the maps of buildings incorporated into the illustrations and how Joe McKendry showed the changes of various buildings - how they were torn down and rebuilt over the years. The illustrations are fantastic.  The text and the illustrations are so rich, it makes this book fascinating and easy to read.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library

No comments: