Thursday, February 14, 2013

Review: The Essence

 * Sequel to The Pledge*

Months have past since Charlie changed her world. She's now the Queen - learning etiquette as well as horse riding and hand to hand combat. She's not sure which she's worst at learning.


While laws have been changed for the benefit of her people, there are moments when Charlie wishes everything was back to normal. Things won't ever be normal for her again - and not just because she's now the Queen.  It's because Sabara and her legacy. She's keeping Charlie from being at peace, from resting, from finding confidence in her new role.


Not everyone's pleased with Charlie as the leader. After a riot, it becomes quite clear that something needs to be done with the rebels. It's also clear there's a traitor in Charlie's camp. Can she and her team uncover the identity before it's too late?

My Thoughts: I really liked the sequel to the Pledge. I did have a hard time keeping track of all the Queens (probably just like Charlie). I liked the multiple perspectives with Brooklyn, Charlie, and other minor characters. There were so many emotions in this book.  

I felt horrible for Charlie and her restlessness, horrified at some of her behavior, and my heart ached for her at times. The tension surrounding Charlie made for a fast read. I wanted to find out what happened next, who had it in for her, and what the rebels were going to do next. The action and the danger heightened all the other emotions.  I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Cover Thoughts: I like how it ties into the first book
Source: My Library


No comments: