Monday, September 23, 2024

Banned Books Week


 As a young librarian, I used to think Banned Book Week was something to celebrate. But now that I've been through a serious book challenge, I know that it is not. 

After a complaint brought against one book, the First Selectmen in the town where I work wanted to close the Children's Department and do an inventory of the entire collection during Summer Reading, the busiest time of year.

The summer of the incident was so stressful. Ultimately, the town came together to support the library and it's one of the best things to come out of that horrific experience. 

No one should have the power to decide what kids/teens read except for their families.

As public librarians, we are not gatekeepers. If you ask me for a book, I'm going to give it to you. I might recommend others that I also think you'd enjoy as well. 

The conversation about Banned Books has changed recently. People have organized to ban books. People have become scary. Librarians are scared. They don't always have the community support. They don't always have their boss's support or the administration support. It's a tough world out there, but as librarians it is our job to fight for the freedom to read.

Over the years, I have tried to make sure the library's collection is diverse. We want people to see themselves and more importantly other people in books. It's one way to create empathy.

We NEED empathy in the world right now. The world is on fire and has been for a while. 

Here are the most challenged books reported from last year. Not all challenges are reported to ALA.

Notice anything similar about them?

Go here for more information about Banned Books and book challenges.

Don't forget to vote - because often times (as it did in the town where I work), that's who is making these important decisions. 

No comments: