Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Confessions of a Murder Suspect

1st in a new series
Comes out September 24th

Tandy is a genius, who strives to keep her emotions in check. She's awoken in the middle of the night by the police. They insist upon coming into her apartment stating that they're investigating a murder. Tandy has no idea what they're talking about.

She attempts to get her parents. They don't allow her to move. She's forced to open the door and remain there while they search the apartment. They discover her parent - both murdered.

Tandy and her brothers have no knowledge of the deaths. Due to their unique upbringing, they rarely show emotions. Thus no one bursts into tears or collapses or goes into shock like normal teens.

As the police watch carefully, they begin to suspect that someone in the locked apartment, which showed no signs of forced entry, killed Mr and Mrs. Angel. Tandy decides to solve their murders - after all her mind is the clearest. She's also sure not to rule out any suspects ---including herself.

My Thoughts: It took me a couple chapters to get into this book, but then I was sucked in completely. Tandy is an unreliable narrator. Usually I don't like it when narrators talk to the readers, but this one works. However, it's hard to like Tandy and her siblings. They're so cold and different, almost inhuman. 


Despite that, I kept turning the pages. I had to know who murdered the Angels. I had to know what was going to happen next to the siblings. They were loose cannons. Eventually, I did learn to care about them. In typical Patterson fashion, my emotions kept me turning the pages as I had to know what happened next. The short chapters and the action and threat of danger is a great combination. I'm very interested to see where this series will go. I found this book fascinating.

Cover Thoughts: Interesting - I love the tagline, but I'm unsure about the cover itself.
Source: Signed! at BEA

No comments: