Friday, February 14, 2014

YA Librarian: Ten Years

Sometime during this past week, I achieved a mile mark in my career. I've been a YA Librarian for 10 years. It really is the best job in the world.  Here's 10 things I LOVE about my job (not in any order).


1. I love reading the YA books and talking about them with teens. My goal is spread the joy of reading, especially if that teen (or parent) comes in looking for a book and doesn't like reading. I love the challenge of finding them a book they will love.

2. I love hosting programs for teens - making jewelry, gingerbread houses, and mini rockets

3. I love having YA authors come to the library to talk with teens,

4. I love talking with YA authors and publishers about books.

5. I love ordering books and seeing teens walk out of the library with a stack of books, happy they found the one they wanted. When new books come into the library, it's kind of like Christmas.

6. I love being able to help them with a tricky question or send that one email that will get them into college.

7. Having a safe place where teens know they can go to just hang out.

8. Interacting with teens and finding out how their day went.

9. Connecting with the schools on great projects.

10. Sharing and gaining knowledge and ideas from other YA Librarians.

4 comments:

List Kween said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Jennifer! You're an inspiration.

Susan said...

Congratulations! 10 years in a job you love is a wonderful thing, and inspiring teen readers is something to be proud of!

Unknown said...

Be proud! Congratulations!