Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: Vitro

When Sophie gets an urgent email from her mother asking her for help, she returns to the island where she grew up. After several long flights, she finally lands, determined to find the island her mother's working on, but no one seems to acknowledge it's existence. Finally, she's told a local hangout where she might be able to find a pilot.

The pilot who agrees to take her is none other than her best friend from childhood. As soon as they reach the island, trouble begins. The plane suffers a serious accident - leaving them stranded. They split up - Sophie goes to find her mother while Jim attempts to revive the plane. That's when everything goes from bad to worse - what's really happening on this island and why is it such a big secret?
My Thoughts: This companion novel to Origin was intense: high stakes, lots of action and danger. Ethical questions about genetics and genetic engineering are called into question. These questions make the future seem like an endless stream of possibilities - but many of those are horrific. With this kind of technology, the world can become radically different. I felt horrible for Sophie growing up with her mother for so long, but I like how she found Jim. The plot twists and the horror of the book made me gasp at every turn. This book kept me thinking long after I turned the final page - a fantastic thriller.

Cover Thoughts: Love it
Source: My Library

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooo, this sounds fantastic! I really enjoyed ORIGIN, and while I'm not a huge fan of the unoriginal name of Jim, I think I should pick this up ASAP. Great review, Jennifer!