Thursday, October 18, 2018

Review: The Forest Queen

40850388
Sylvie doesn't believe her brother has what it takes to be a leader. She doesn't agree with most of his decisions. But as a lady, she can't change things but maybe she doesn't have to be a part of it.

Upset about everything, her friend offers her a way out. They could go live in the woods off the land. Sylvie isn't sure, but when they come across a girl in trouble, they act. Knowing she can't go back, Sylvie and Bird escape to the forest with Little Jane.

Together, the three of them form a pack. But surviving is harder than they think. They need supplies. They need help. And Sylvie knows just where to go - if only her brother doesn't find out.
My Thoughts: I loved the idea of Robin Hood being a Lady. I wish this book had been a little bit longer - a little bit more flushed out. But otherwise, it was great. I've always been a fan of the Robin Hood story. I liked matching up the characters from this story to the legend. I liked Sylvie coming into her own and learning about survival. I liked Little Jane - her news wasn't a surprise to me, but I liked the way she handled it. She was strong. I loved the strong women in this story. I loved how they fought for their freedom, for their happiness, and for a better life. Even if that made them outlaws. This book would make a great conversation starter about women in history, class distinction, and historical events.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Recommended for both school and public libraries

1 comment:

Tessa said...

Robin Hood has always been one of my favorite stories, so I am happy to see some more retellings.

If you liked this one, I would recommend Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen. I think it is meant for a more YA audience, but it is still a great, kind of gender-flipped version of the classic story. Thanks for the great review!