Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tween Tuesday Review: Princess Curse

Tween Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted here at GreenBeanTeenQueen to highlight great reads for tweens! Join the fun and discover great reads for tweens!


* A retelling of the fairy tale Twelve Dancing Princesses*

Reveka works as an herbalist's apprentice. One day she longs to join a nunnery where she can become an herbalist. However, in order to join the nunnery, she'll need a substantial dowry.

She has mixed feelings when she hears the strange tales about the princesses and the people lying sleeping in the tower. The people won't wake up, they're just like vegetables While it's horrible, if Reveka can figure out the mystery, she'll have a dowry big enough to make her dreams come true.

As she tries to get close enough to the princesses, she discovers a hidden world. Could she be the girl to break the curse?


My Thoughts: I really liked this retelling - which added in other mythology. I loved the descriptions of the underworld. I didn't like the princesses, they seemed cold - even towards each other.  I found the father-daughter relationship intriguing and I like how it blossomed. I liked the magic and differences between the worlds. I liked Reveka - her determination, her intelligence, and her loyalty. I would love to see this as a trilogy as it seems there's more to the story.


Cover Thoughts: I love it!


Source: my Library

2 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I have this one in my TBR pile! I love fairy tale retellings, especially when they add something unique. I'll have to pick this one up!

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

I love this book so, so much. One of my favorite 2011 middle-grades! I'm hoping to feature the book again during Fairy Tale Fortnight this month!