Friday, October 4, 2019

Nonfiction Review: Opening Zion

8016856

Based off of two scrapbooks purchased on Ebay and other research, this book shares the 1920 promotional campaign from Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad to advertise their park shuttle service as well as Zion National Park. Six young ladies from the University of Utah were the newly minted park's first official tourists. And judging by their pictures, they had a great time. 

My Thoughts: 
I wanted to read this book after hearing a park ranger talk about it while we were hiking Zion National Park last year. Observation Point was a hard hike for me, but the scenery was amazing!



I really liked the book, but I felt that I didn't get a good sense of the ladies.

The pictures were amazing.

I would have set the book up differently to understand the characters more and be able to differentiate between the ladies. I had a hard time telling them apart. 

What an amazing trip they went on!

A very interesting feminist story about these six young ladies. I wish more was known about them and their journey. 

No comments: