Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Graphic Novel Review: Spinning

Spinning
Tillie has a love/hate relationship with skating. After she moves to Texas, her life changes. She still wakes up before dawn to practice her figure skating and arrives after school to practice her synchronized ice skating.

In moving and switching everything, Tillie feels lost in the ice skating world. She has to find new friends. She puts her energy into skating and excels, but she doesn't love it anymore. She can't bring herself to quit, but she's miserable, especially after her first girlfriend breaks up with her.

Can she find a way to be happy again?
My Thoughts: I devoured this book. I couldn't wait to see what happened to Tillie. I loved the skating world, even the terrible moments. I felt bad for Tillie as she went through the world miserable and questioning everything, not letting people get to close to her. I loved it when she found friendship, acceptance, and of course herself. The drawings were wonderful. I haven't read too many graphic novel memoirs, but if there anything like this, keep them coming. I'm eager to see what she does next!

I feel like this one is perfect for kids who might be too young for Shannon Hale's Real Friends, but could use a similar read.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library

Fun Fact: January is National Ice Skating Month. So for more novels about ice skating, check out this post from a few years ago.

Library Recommendation: Perfect for public libraries and middle school and high school libraries.

No comments: