Monday, March 25, 2013

Review: Flicker and Burn

 * Book 2 in the Cold Fury trilogy*

Sara Jane's spending her summer searching for her missing family. She's trying to uncover more secrets buried in the notebook. She's trying to keep the mob happy, so they don't think her father's off telling company secrets. Most importantly, she's trying to save her life by fighting off deranged creatures.

As the summer comes to a close, new family members appear. She's surprised to find herself happy to have a cousin the same age. Still Sara Jane tries to keep them from uncovering the truth about her family's disappearance, not to mention the real family business.

Sara Jane's also trying to juggle her relationship with Max. He's asking questions that she doesn't want to answer and brushing him off isn't making him happy.

All this pressure is getting to her. Can she uncover the information she needs without getting caught?

My Thoughts: The second book in this trilogy packs lots of action and danger.  It's gripping, emotional, and thrilling. I liked the new addition of the Rispoli family, even though they posed more trouble for Sara Jane.  I liked Heather's side of Cold Fury - it was impressive and fitting.  It took me a bit to wrap my head around the Ice Cream Guys - I couldn't see them in my mind, but they were vicious. I felt horrible for Doug. Most of his action happened off the pages, but I couldn't believe what he did. As in the previous book, I loved uncovering bits and pieces of the mob's history and their secret hideouts. I really liked Flicker and Burn and can't wait to see how it all wraps up! 

Cover Thoughts: I like it
Source: ARC from the author

1 comment:

Lea (YA Book Queen) said...

I really need to get my hands on the first book, because they both sound amazing!

Nice review :)