Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mysterious Saturday Review: Red Velvet Cupcake Murder

(Hannah Swensen Series #16) 

Half the town's attending the grand opening for a new condo building with six condos plus a penthouse for sale. The penthouse, while impressive, is not entirely finished. During the party, a guest jumps off the roof, putting a damper on the evening.

In the middle of the night, Hannah receives a call from the hospital. Barbara doesn't say much, but she's convinced that someone tried to murder her. She begs Hannah to come to the hospital. Unfortunately, because of her injuries, Barbara's mind isn't clear. Hannah still promises that she'll look into it. 

Hannah doesn't really want to relive the party -as it's the reason Doctor Bev's back in town. Hannah knows that she's up to something; she really hopes she's not trying to win Norman back. After a nasty run in between the two, Doctor Bev turns up dead. While at first the police think she's drowned, but it's later discovered that Bev ate a cupcake before she died that might have been laced with tranquilizers. Now the police have brought Hannah in for questioning for murder.

My Thoughts: I really enjoy this series - it's a quick read, full of twists and turns, and thoroughly entertaining. I admit that I loved the murder victim in this installment, especially after the candid moment she had with Hannah. It's pure karma at work. I even liked that Hannah was a strong suspect in the murder. 

As always, I love the baking moments and anytime spent in the Cookie Jar. I love the interaction between the customers and Lisa while she tells the stories of the deaths. 

I love the surprise at the ending - very nice touch. 

Cover Thoughts: Cute - I love the frosting
Source: my Library

No comments: