Monday, January 14, 2019

Review: Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden

* Book 2 about the Vanderbeekers *
The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers #2)
The Vanderbeek children are having a boring summer. Isa's off to camp - leaving Jessie, Oliver, Hyacinth, and Laney home in the sweltering heat. While they're visiting their neighbors, Mr. Jeet has a stroke. He's rushed to the hospital, where he'll have to remain until he's strong enough to come home.

The siblings are devastated and want to do something for him. They decide to create a secret garden for him. They pick an abandoned overgrown lot for the garden. But starting a garden from scratch is a lot of work. They need resources and time - something they don't have a lot of.
My Thoughts: I adored this second book in the series - I call it a series because there's at least one more book coming! I love the siblings and how the bicker between themselves but also how they stick together. I loved the description of the garden - and how it sounded very much like the Secret Garden. I love how they tried so hard and didn't give up even after everything went sideways. Even though this series is modern, it has a nostalgic feel to it.

Cover Thoughts: Charming
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have series for your public and school libraries.

No comments: