Friday, July 21, 2023

New Blog/Database Idea: For Librarians and Authors


Over on Twitter, I saw this tweet from an author I follow

Lindsey Leavitt 🇺🇦
So my traditionally published MG novel came out 7 weeks ago. I have yet to receive a trade review. My 2010 MG debut had 8 reviews. With 0 reviews, it dramatically lowers my shot at awards or making state lists. Some school districts require a positive review for visits now. 🧵

This is her new book which I'm excited to read:



And after that, my brain started firing. If the journals can't review all the books, then maybe we could do something to help. I have reviewed for journals and in NO WAY am I trying to take away from them.

Could we have a super blog/database of books reviewed by librarians for librarians???

What Librarians Get:
A place where professionals review books. There will be positive reviews of books, so they can achieve the 2+ rule (if required.)

What Authors Get:
A place where professionals review books.

How it *might* work:
We have a core group who manage the site. 
We have board books thru YA books reviewed.  
We have a team of reviewers who follow the same format for each review.
We have critical reviews, but not negative reviews. (This worked but that didn't)
You could cross post on your own blog or social media platforms.
The reviews would be archived and tagged. 
There could be topical booklists by ages.

As this would be a community blog/database, I don't have all the answers, so please tell me your thoughts! 

Authors - would this help?
Librarians would this help?

1 comment:

Beverly Patt said...

Oh, boy, can I relate!
My last book earned reviews from all the big reviewers. Now with my upcoming YA novel, my publisher said they are paying for a Kirkus review but aren't holding their breath for more. It's very discouraging.
So, I love your idea for this Librarian and author database. Hoping your fellow librarians join you!
Thanks for all you do for authors and readers alike:)