Thursday, July 13, 2023

Book Covers: That One Doesn't Match

 OK, do I read this book recently that I really enjoyed. 

HOWEVER, the book nor the title match the content inside the book. 

I loved both the cover and the title, but when I realized what the book was exactly about, it was jarring for me. 

I had to take the cover out of the equation. 

The lovely cover to me says this is a book on the seaside with a library or little free library. It's women's fiction. 


And it's a little bit right.

The story does take place on an island (think Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard).

There is a character that works in a library. 

BUT:

It's really about an unsolved murder, a trio of friends who lied about the timeline, and a body that appears 20 years later, reopening the case. 

Again, it's a good story. And I've read several of the authors previous books and enjoyed them.

I just couldn't get past the cover. So, I made my own and changed the name of the book: 


It's not perfect, but it's no longer light and happy. There's a little bit of darkness to it. And there's a lighthouse, which is a key point to the story. 

Sadly, the library doesn't factor much in the book. There are a couple scenes in the library. 

Is this just a bookish quirk of mine? Or does it bug you too?

No comments: