Saturday, July 8, 2023

Judy Blume is Having a Moment

 


I've been a fan of Judy Blume since I was around 7 or 8. My sister loved the Fudge books. 


I just watched this documentary (from Amazon Prime) and it was amazing - as you'd expect. I learned all kinds of things about Judy Blume's life, her writing, and why she decided to write about all the things that kids/teens couldn't talk about with their parents. Or at least she couldn't talk about with her mother.

I love how the readers responded. She's known for being honest and truthful - especially about topics that people didn't (and some people to this day still) want to talk about. 

One of my favorite parts of the documentary was seeing all the letters written to her. And reading some of them. 

I love that she and her mother went to the library every week.
I love that she started writing by making up stories to her children. She started writing picture books but after rejections and a well-known author (unnamed sadly) who told her she had no talent, she started writing chapter books. 

Some of the letters shared are heartbreaking.

It's amazing how both the author and the reader wrote letters back and forth. 

I loved seeing authors and actors and other celebrities talk about her impact on them, how she influenced them and their work.

And then there's the new movie

I actually just read the book. And it was powerful, even has an adult. I wish I had read it when I was younger. It took her six weeks to create the first draft. 

Three favorites from my childhood:
Eat it or wear it!

I don't remember the original cover.  It was not a happy book, but it did make you think. 

I read this book until it fell apart. I loved the friendship and family drama. 

Now I really want to go to Key West and visit the book shop! 

No comments: