Monday, May 8, 2023

Author Interview: Matt McMann


Today I'm chatting with debut author Matt McMann


This creepy book comes out tomorrow

What would happen if you and your friends got stuck overnight in The Haunted Mansion and monsters came to life?
Grab yourself a copy. 

What can you tell us about the Monsterious series?

Monsterious is my spooky middle grade monster mystery debut series. The books are short, and as each story is standalone thriller with a unique cast of characters, they can be read in any order. Escape from Grimstone Manor (Monsterious #1, coming May 9) is about three friends who are trapped overnight in a haunted house amusement park ride and discover the monsters are real. The Snatcher of Raven Hollow (Monsterious #2, also May 9) is about two friends who learn that a mysterious monster is behind the disappearance of infants in their small town—but no one believes them. Terror in Shadow Canyon (#3) publishes Aug 22, followed by The Beast of Skull Rock (#4) in January 2024.

How many books would you like to be in this series? 

A lot! I chose an anthology style series for Monsterious, where the books are tied together by a theme, spooky monster mysteries, yet each is a standalone adventure with a unique cast of characters. I did this partly because if the series finds a strong readership, I can write many Monsterious books, which would be a dream!

 What was the first horror book you remember reading? 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Even at a young age, I was enthralled. I can remember sitting on the couch in our family room, murmuring the words aloud as I read. After Dracula by Bram Stoker, I checked out every book in my elementary school library on vampires, werewolves, ghosts, Bigfoot, Yeti, and the Loch Ness Monster. I was hooked!

  What's your favorite monster? 

Bigfoot is a sentimental favorite from my childhood, and I have a soft spot for the Loch Ness monster as well. A few years ago, I had the chance to sail on Loch Ness, which was a thrill! I’m also fascinated by werewolves. There’s something about a monster who is a normal human most of the time that I find so intriguing.

   What draws you to write horror novels? 

My love of spooky adventures came from being a scared kid. I was afraid of all kinds of things—the dark, bullies, the basement, the woods. Reading those stories gave me a way to experience fear in a safe, controlled, and fun way. Seeing characters in books face their fears gave me courage to face my own. When I decided to pursue novel writing as an adult, those were the kinds of books I was drawn to write. I want to provide the same encouragement and inspiration for kids today that I had growing up. Besides, spooky stories are just so cool! 

Do you have favorite horror writers? 

In the middle grade space, I think Lindsay Currie is a stand out. She’s able to be genuinely scary without being gory or over the top. In young adult, I’m hooked on the new horror series The Luminaries by Susan Dennard. For classics, Edgar Allen Poe, Mary Shelley, and Bram Stoker all have staying power for a reason.

 Do you believe in ghosts? What do you think will happen if you catch the ghost lights? 

While I don’t know of any concrete evidence for the existence of ghosts, I believe many things exist that are currently outside of our scientific understanding. Does that include ghosts, spirits, non-material phenomena? It could.

 I did once chase a mysterious ghost light that appeared in the pre-dawn hours on a mountain behind our house over the course of a week. After several failed attempts and numerous scrapes and bruises from barreling along a rocky slope in the dark, I finally solved the mystery—a distant neighbor had set up a giant, nuclear-powered green spotlight in his backyard. The long throw through branches swaying in the wind created an amazingly compelling dancing ghost light!

What's a writing day look like for you? 

I’m an earlier riser, usually around 5:30 am. After some stretching, exercise, and meditation / prayer, I usually spend the morning drafting or editing one of my books, depending on my deadlines and publishing schedule. If I’m drafting, I write a minimum of a thousand words a day. My wife and I break for lunch around 1:00 pm and watch of few hours of reality TV to give our creative minds a break, then I do admin and marketing work for the rest of the afternoon.

What's the last book you read and loved? 

Good Different by Meg Eden Kuyatt, a powerful and eminently readable middle grade novel in verse about a neurodivergent girl who learns to embrace herself and find her place in the world. It really increased my understanding of and empathy for people who are neurodivergent.

 Quick Questions:

 Panster or Plotter?

I’ve written books both ways, but lean more toward plotter. With the rapid publishing schedule of the Monsterious series (the first four books all come out within nine months), outlining has helped me hit all my deadlines!

 Do you listen to music when you write? 

I find music distracting. As a former professional musician, I catch myself analyzing what’s happening in the music. I like streaming YouTube nature videos on our TV in the background while I write.

 Do you snack and write? Do you have a favorite snack?

I drink English Breakfast hot tea all day long even during scorching Phoenix summers. I love all kinds of salty-sweet snacks but not while writing!

Thanks for chatting with me today, Matt!  

Go grab the book tomorrow when it comes out. But if you're like me, don't read it in the dark!

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats to Matt on his new book. I can't wait to read it. And I'm reading The Luminaries now and really am enjoying it.