Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Sexual Assault Awareness Month

This week, I'm changing the topic up a little bit. As you know, April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. While I love reading these books, I hate reading these books. Yes they are empowering. But they are also heartbreaking. But they are so important for teens to know they are not alone. And it's not their fault.


for more resources! 


Some Books I've read:

Die for YouMoxieSome BoysSpeak
SHOUTVigilanteWhat Kind of GirlMaybe He Just Likes You
The Opposite of Innocent


Still to Read:
All the RageWhat Happens NextThe Way I Used to BeExit, Pursued by a BearYou Too?

I made a brochure for teens about reading recommendations. It includes books about sexual violence and assault, but it also includes romance books because I think it's great for teens to see positive relationships. There's also a playlist of songs about women - mostly about surviving but also about friendship. 

I have copies in my library - but if you'd like me to email you a PDF, leave a comment. 

6 comments:

Louise H said...

As someone who works with teens I need to bookmark this page. Resources like this are always very useful - thanks for the list!

Michelle said...

I so understand the love to read and hate to read these books at the same time. It's hard on the emotions. I totally recommend THE WAY I USED TO BE. It was the best debuts I've ever read. I would also include ASKING FOR IT to this list. Great list!!

Lydia said...

Speak was such a good story.

My TTT .

Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse said...

The Way I Used to Be made my list for entirely different reasons today, but I think it's a truly important read. Thanks for sharing it on your list.

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

Speak is so good. I read it when I was pretty young and was shocked by the ending.

Aj @ Read All The Things!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really love Speak - and I have Shout to hopefully read soon. These are definitely heartbreaking, but very important reads. I love that you made your teens a brochure!

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net