Friday, February 21, 2020

Review: From the Desk of Zoe Washington

From the Desk of Zoe Washington
Zoe Washington just turned twelve. On her birthday, she finds a letter from her father. He's in prison for murder. He wants to be part of her life. But she doesn't know him. He claims that he's innocent.

Zoe's determined to find out. She secretly writes him back. She asks him for information about his case; she wants to prove his innocence. But all the secrets and lying adds up.

She needs to tell someone about him. Will the truth come spilling out and ruin the rest of her summer plans - her baking internship, and her audition for a kid baking show.
My Thoughts: I really liked this book. I loved the baking parts and how Zoe made up her own cupcake flavor. I loved her moments in the bakery - how it was boring awesome and sometimes boring. I liked her friendship drama with Trevor and how that worked out. I loved her relationship with her grandmother. I loved her letters with Marcus and how they started to have a relationship. I enjoyed their conversation about music. I like how Zoe wanted to uncover the truth about her father even if it meant keeping secrets. I love how everything turned out. An impressive debut novel that leaves me waiting to see what Janae Marks writes next!

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: Grab this one for your school and public libraries. 
Conversation Starter: There aren't too many books about incarcerated parents and this book would make a great book discussion book.

No comments: