Saturday, November 30, 2019

Review: Generation Friends

Generation Friends: An Inside Look at the Show That Defined a Television Era

Full confession: I didn't grow up watching Friends, although I'm the right age for it.

And I have LOTS of feelings about the show. There are so many great moments.


I don't normally read adult nonfiction, but this book was really interesting and entertaining. 

I loved learning bits about the show, the production of the show, and cast moments.

Honestly, I didn't want this book to end.

Things that stood out to me:

Ross was the first breakout character on the show. 
He's the worst character in my opinion and one who doesn't grow at all during the series.

How the studio won Rachel Green and caused her other show to die a slow death.

I hate the ending of the show. And loved Joey and Rachel together.
I hate that Rachel gave up her dream job in PARIS for Ross.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. 
But I do understand that's what the show was about for so many seasons and the pressure to finally give them a HEA - although I like to think it was a HFN and Rachel found her way to Paris after all. 

It's interesting to hear how problematic the show is now but at the time broke molds

Why a season took place in London 

How Monica and Chandler came to be something more than just a joke around a writing table.

And there were things I missed about the show. Like where was Ben during Ross's wedding to Emily.

All in all, this is a fascinating book that fans of the show will enjoy.

Library Recommendation: A must have for your public library.

No comments: