Monday, June 17, 2024

Middle Grade Review: Medusa



When Ava deals with a bully at school, her mom decides it's time for her and her brother to attend boarding school. Suddenly they are both whisked off Venice. There, they learn they are descendants of Greek monsters, not heroes. 

Ava's thriving at the school. All her knowledge of mythology has paid off. Now she's getting more praise than her brother. But all that changes when she meets the goddess Athena. 

The Accademia isn't quite what it seems. When someone threatens Ava's friend, she's ready to cause a scene. But could protecting her friend get her expelled?
My Thoughts: It took me a little bit to get into this book, but then I was sucked in. This is a REALLY powerful story with an important message. This feminist read talks about how females lose their voice and how powerful stories can be. The Greek mythology will pull readers in, but I stayed for the friendship, the action, and the feminist twist. I love the idea that Greek mythology monsters might not have really been monsters. It seems like this could be the start of a new series and I really hope that is true. 

Cover Thoughts: Great - lots of action
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Highly recommended to your school and public library

4 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

This sounds good with all the action and feminist twist. Thanks for sharing it with us this week.

Carol Baldwin said...

What an interesting twist on Greek myths. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Pattridge said...

What a great sounding story with lots of discussion possibilities. I have added it to my TBR list. Happy MMGM!

DMS said...

So many of my students are mythology fans- so this sounds like a book they will like as they head off to middle school. Thanks for sharing. :)