Thursday, January 21, 2021

Feminist Review: Blood Moon

 



Frankie and a boy she's crushing on have a sexual moment. It becomes a little bit embarrassing. Until EVERYONE knows about it. Now Frankie's fighting with her best friend, hiding the truth from her parents, and going down a shame spiral.

It's her life. And it's blowing up. After a meme going viral, she has no one to talk to. She's certainly not going to confide in her parents. She can't believe this is happening to her. How can so much hate come from getting her period at the wrong time?
My Thoughts: This book was hard to read - it made me angry and sad. I felt terrible for Frankie - I wanted to wrap her up in a hug. I hated that her first sexual encounter went so horrible wrong after the fact. I hated that she couldn't trust her best friend. I hated the bullying that went on - both in her school and online. But that doesn't mean this wasn't a great read. I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the novel in verse writing. I liked the astronomy aspect to the book. I loved the tree house. The ending was great.

Cover Thoughts: Provoking
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: Great for discussion about periods, being ashamed of your body, and bullying. This would make a great book club book.

No comments: