Thursday, June 14, 2018

Graphic Novel Review: Hey Kiddo


35794239

Jarrett had a difficult childhood - his grandparents gained custody of him after his mom failed him too many times. As a heroic addict, she spent time in and out of jail. Jarrett's grandparents loved him, but they had their own issues too. He had no idea who is father was - until he sees his birth certificate in high school. But he does have a love for art and he's determined to prove himself.
My Thoughts: I started reading this in line at BEA and I couldn't put it down. It's sad, but powerful and thoughtful. I loved Jarret's fondness for art and how he didn't give up on his dreams. I liked learning about his family and how it functioned (or didn't function). I really loved the end notes. I loved learning about the coloring process of the book. The color scheme makes the book pop. In some ways, this was a hard book to read and know that it happened. I just wanted to give younger Jarrett a great big hug.

Cover Thoughts: Great
Source: BEA book
Release Date: September 25th 

No comments: