Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Gateway Books

This week's topic is Gateway Books: books that really started us on our way to becoming book lovers/genre loves. Mine list is all over the place - but in a fun way. 


Princess Diaries 
Gossip Girl
I read these two books in graduate school and they pulled my focus to becoming a YA Librarian. 

Harry Potter 
I read the first book in college and it brought be back to reading younger books but also fantasy.

Loves Music, Loves to Dance
I read this one in middle school and it was my first adult book. I went on a Mary Higgins Clark kick after that. 

Book of Three
This one was recommended to me while taking a Children's Literature class in college - loved it so much I devoured the rest of the series.

Duke and I
I had read a couple Regency Romances before reading this one - some other Julia Quinn and Sarah MacLean, but this one hooked me and got me reading so many more. 

What My Mother Doesn't Know
I wasn't sure that I would like novels in verse, but after reading this one, I became a huge fan.

Ender's Game
My husband made me read this one. As I'm not a huge fan of Sci-Fi, this helped me better understand the pull of science fiction.

Vampire Academy
After reading this one, I went on a paranormal kick for a long time.

Truth about Forever
One of my favorite Sarah Dessen books that I recommend all the time to teens in the library. I hope it becomes a gateway book for them.

9 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

Great list! New visitor to your blog, its wonderful: love the lay out :)! I have Harry Potter on my list too!

Jackie

Jacquelynne said...

Great list!! Happy reading!

YA Sleuth said...

Oh, how I cried over The Truth About Forever... One of my favorites. there were a few on your list I wasn't familiar with; I'll be checking them out. Thanks for sharing!

cleemckenzie said...

Books have such power to shape us and lead us into new genres that we might not have explored.

Jessica said...

I haven't read any of the books on your list! I would like to read Harry Potter eventually, and I would like to read Ender's Game, too! :)

Lakin said...

Truth About Forever is my favorite of the two Sarah Dessen books I have read. My TTT

Unknown said...

How could I have forgotten Gossip Girl and The Princess Diaries? I was completely hooked on Gossip Girl in junior high/high school and read the entire series, all the way up to the point where they switched focus to a different cast of characters. I was obsessed! Great list!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction said...

Harry Potter brought me back to reading younger books too. It reminded me that there are some great MG books out there!

I didn't manage a TTT today, but I did post a review of an amazing book that I think everyone should read - check it out here.

La Coccinelle said...

I read Ender's Game years ago. I remember enjoying it, but it wasn't the very first sci-fi novel I'd ever read. I can't actually remember much about the book, other than that I enjoyed it.