Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: Clarity

Clarity's family is a little different. They have powers. Clare's mom can read thoughts. Her brother can communicate with the dead. Clare can see visions after touching objects belonging to that person. They set up shop in a tourist town, where they generate a lot of interest. The tourists love them, but everyone else hates them.

Clare's used to the stares, the whispers, and the bullying. She's not used to her ex-boyfriend asking for help using her gifts.

After a young girl's been murdered, the police are left with few clues. He comes to Clare asking for her help, asking her to use her powers for good.

She agrees. Together with the police detective's son and her ex-boyfriend, the mayor's son, they attempt to solve the murder.

Clare doesn't want to share what she witnesses - her brother with the victim before she died. Now more than ever, she needs to solve this crime, if only to save her brother.

My Thoughts: I devoured this book. I enjoyed Clare's position within the town. She has incredible snark and sarcasm, resulting in much laughter.I liked the relationship between Clare and Gabriel and Clare and Justin. The love triangle works well. Of course I have a favorite of the two boys! (Do you?)

I loved Clare's relationship with her family and their "readings". I would love to visit and have then perform a reading for me.

All in all, this was a great debut filled with danger, action, the sounds of summer, and romance.


Cover Thoughts: The girl looks so much like Clare. Plus the way the light works is simply amazing.
Source: Bought at the Clarity Launch, check out Kim Harrington's blog for pictures of the super fun event! Check out that cake!

So looking forward to Perception - the sequel!

Challenge: Debut Author Challenge

Similar Read: Don't Die Dragonfly

1 comment:

Jessica said...

It's soooo funny. I love this cover and I must have stared at it over and over. Then I started reading the book and I got momentarily mad that Clare has red hair and the girl on the cover was blond...until I looked again and realized that she IS a red-head and it's just the sun reflecting off her hair that confused me. Duh. *slaps forehead*