Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mysterious Saturday Review: To Have and To Kill

Piper's life isn't going to the way she imagined. Instead of pursuing an amazing acting career, she's bombing auditions and moving back home with her parents.

Her mom owns a bakery where she makes delicious wedding cakes. When Piper's friend and former co-star, the star of a Soap Opera announces her engagement, Piper promises her mother will make her wedding cake.

However, her mother's having trouble seeing. Instead, Piper takes over the baking. Piper also nabs a spot on the Soap Opera as they wind down shooting in New York City before moving to LA. Glenna isn't following the show. She'll be staying behind with new husband.

As the wedding date comes closer and the last week of the show in New York begins, Glenna's co-star is murdered. It could have been her. It looks like someone might want Glenna to die rather than remarry or someone's targeting the beloved soap opera.

Piper can't just sit around, she wants to help out. When more bodies start falling, she's completely unsure of the killer's intended target.

My Thoughts: The first in a new series and it's as addictive as cake. Piper's smart, resourceful, and determined. I love the blend of the baking world with the acting world. Piper's FBI friend makes a very potential love interest. The short chapters and multiple perspectives make it almost impossible to put down. I kept turning pages because I wanted to see what would happen next. I simply can't wait to see what Mary Jane Clark will cook up next.

Cover Thoughts: Adorable - but I do wish that the cake on the cover was the one that Piper creates for her friend.

Source: My Library.

1 comment:

Test said...

Ooh, I've never of this one (or its author) before, though it looks good! I love the sound of the premise, especially since it contains a mystery. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it.