Friday, March 20, 2020

Review: Throw Like a Girl

Throw Like a Girl
During a play-off softball game during her junior year, Liv throws a punch after a girl says something homophobic about her sister. Liv must suffer the consequences of her choices - sitting the bench for the rest of the playoffs, having her scholarship revoked for her private school, and having to figure out her next move. There's no way she can't play softball her senior year, especially if she wants to play in college.

The local high school just happens to be the team she fought against. The softball coach isn't convinced at having Liv on the team. She knows Liv is super talented, but she might ruin the dynamic of the team. The coach suggests Liv try out for a fall sport and show off her sportsmanship.

Liv is willing to do anything to earn a post on the team, so when the injured quarterback sees her goofing off with her brother and offers her a spot on the football team - she can't turn him down. Together they come up with a plan that benefits them both.
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. I liked how seamlessly Liv found herself on the team and there wasn't (much) crap from the boys on the football team. I loved reading about the workouts and the conditioning. I loved seeing her relationship with Grey playout. I loved her best friend  and her brother. Even though she wasn't the best at managing either of those relationships, I loved them. I love how she defended her sister even though it cost her almost everything. I love that this book tackled real issues: feminism, homophonic slurs, what it means to be a team player, concussions in football, and more. A really great read.

Cover Thoughts: Love it!
Source: My library
Library Recommendation: Grab this one for your school and public libraries

No comments: