Thursday, January 9, 2020

Middle Grade Review: Revenge of the Red Club




Revenge of the Red Club
Things are changing rapidly at Hawking Middle School - and not for the better. First, the newspaper will now be advised by the principle. And stories like Riley's investigation into the gluten free chicken nuggets will no longer be published.

Next, tons of girls are now being scolded for dress code violations. But the final straw for Riley is the disbanding of the Red Club. The Red Club is a support group for any girl with her period, but while it's a safe place to ask questions, it's also so much more.

With everything that's happened, Riley's ready to fight back.
My Thoughts: I loved this book. It's an important read for the feminist tones but also for finding your voice. I love how Riley's relationship with her mother developed. I enjoyed their family nightly tradition. I love how the girls and the boys came together to talk about the problems at school. I wish there was a Red Club when I was in school because the idea is amazing. I hope that girls reading this book form a club of their own. I love that periods and mensuration are normalized in this book. I loved the ending. 

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: A must have book for school and public libraries

No comments: