Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mysterious Saturday Review: Shelter

Mickey's starting a new school after the death of his father in a car accident and his mother going off the deep end. She's now in a rehab. He's at a new school.

He makes a name for himself on the first few days - and not in a good way. Mickey makes two good friends - Spoon and Ema.

He needs them to figure out if what Bat Lady said cold be true. Is it possible that his father is still alive? He must know. He tries contacting her again, but is stonewalled.

He's not going to give up. Just like he's going to discover how his girlfriend (of three weeks) vanished into thin air. There's no trace of her.

Mickey's not stopping until he has answers. Will the answers about Ashely lead him to discover more about his own past?

My Thoughts: I met Harlan Coben briefly at BEA - he said this book could change my life. In my crazed moment (which happens a lot when talking with authors), I said something really dorky - along the lines of "I'm ready for my life to be changed." He looked at me strangely for a moment and then we both moved on. Why do I always say stupid things in front of authors???

The book was gripping - I'm sure this will be a cross over that many adults will be reading. I loved the pacing. I was fascinated with this book and watching Mickey uncover layers of the mysteries. I really loved Ema and Spoon was great comic relief. The danger and action were well done. I couldn't put it down. A great first YA novel and I'm so looking forward to reading more about Mickey

Cover Thoughts: Creepy and perfect

Source: from Penguin at BEA

Out in September

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You are not the only one who has those awkward author moments! I believe you've even witnessed a few of mine...