Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Impossible

Lucy doesn't know much about her mother, except that she's crazy. But she does know that her mother left her adoptive parents a different version of the song Scarborough Fair and made them promise to teach it Lucy. Lucy never knew why. On the night of her prom, she's raped by her date - but she knows it wasn't really him. There was someone else controlling his body. When he crashes that night, she tells only her family the truth. Its a family legacy of becoming pregnant at seventeen. Her family is so supportive of her decision to have the child as well as a family friend. When Zac discovers her mother's diary, he gives it to Lucy. Suddenly things start becoming more clearer and much more a nightmare. Lucy realizes that her mother left her clues in the song, clues to stop a family curse. Can her parents and her best friend and possible romantic interest Zac help her uncover her past and make it possible for her to have a future?

I'm a little late with this one, I feel like I'm remember a lot of buzz when this came out. But a friend at the library whom I'm always giving books, handed it to me and demanded that I read it. So I did. And it's amazing! I couldn't put it down and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it and wondering about the outcome. I'm not crazy about the cover and I think that's what put me off a little. Plus, while reading it, I had the song stuck in my head the ENTIRE time.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I really liked this book too! I love when an author takes an old folk tale, or in this case the old folk song, and creates a story that could be derived from that. Very interesting!! Lucy was a good character, too.

Unknown said...

I have been meaning to read this. I love the cover.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Yep, the song gets in your head with this one. But I thought it was a great read and really enjoyed it. I like this cover better than the original YA cover-not sure why-I think it has more color and I like the red.

Anonymous said...

this sounds like a great book! are you kidding me? that cover is to die for!