Sunday, July 28, 2024

Movie Review: Young Woman and the Sea

 



This week, I watched Young Woman and the Sea on Disney+ and it was amazing.

This movie grabbed me right from the start. 

It features Daisy Ridley as Gertrude Ederle. After several women from their neighborhood died during when a ferry caught on fire because they couldn't swim, Trudy's mother decided that her daughters would learn how to swim.

Trudy loved it. From the start, her determination propelled her forward. She wanted to earn a free hot dog. Her mother found a coach for her and her sisters. Trudy didn't have the skill set, but she practiced and shocked everyone during her first race.

Trudy wanted more from life. She didn't want to get married and work in her father's butcher shop. She had bigger dreams. 

But when those dreams turned into disappointment, she had to find a new dream.
My Thoughts:
I loved this movie.
It made me tear up several times. Good sports movies always do TBH.
I loved the relationship between Trudy and her sister Meg.
I loved Trudy's mother - she was determined to help her daughters.
I really enjoyed Trudy's childhood coach.
I loved the radio moments - everyone gathered around the radio and the whole neighborhood listening. 
There were some tense moments in this one. 
It also made me angry at the injustice of it all. 
It did not make me want to swim though! 

I highly recommend this movie.

No comments: