Monday, February 12, 2024

James Ponti Author Event: Mission Manhattan


Last week I was lucky enough to attend an author event (my first one of the year) at RJ Julia's featuring James Ponti and Jake Burt. 

In the shop window:

The event was super fun - I cried with laugher several times. 

Jake Burt was a wonderful moderator. We all played a game plotter vs panser.

James Ponti is a panser - sort of. He knows the ending but not how we get there. He does like to plan three chapters ahead. 

He doesn't know how to play chess, so those scenes are hard to write. 

James talked about his love for indie bookstores and how he's proud to be a Kid Lit writer. 

One Easter Egg: He writes song lyrics into each book

Easter Egg #2 The head of MI6 is also in the Framed books (Which I still need to read)

He doesn't have a favorite character, because he doesn't want the books to become unbalanced. Each character has one of his qualities. But Kat is the closest to him. 

We heard a funny TOAST story.  

Here he is reading the first little bit of the book. 

Thanks to a goodreads review, he stats each book off with a bang. 

It was such a fun night. We didn't end up getting another picture together. This is from the last tour:


We talked a little bit about NYPL. I love the fun fact that is in the book. It's fascinating and no I'm not going to spoil it.

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of the book. I love this series - there's so much action, danger, and drama. You can read my review here.

Another great night! I was so happy I was able to attend. 

Outside the shop. How cute is that?

7 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm glad you had such a fun night. I haven't been to an in-person author event in a long time. You're reminding me how fun they can be.

Greg Pattridge said...

Thanks for being a part of Marvelous Middle grade Monday this week. I always enjoy author events but have not had the opportunity to connect with James Ponti at one. He seems very down to earth and personable.

Brenda said...

So jealous!! This looks like it was an incredible evening. We just got a Barnes and Noble and they're starting to get some author events going, so fingers crossed that some of my favorite middle grade authors can make it here.

Valinora Troy said...

Sounds a wonderful evening - how nice to meet in person the author of a series you love, it's such a thrill! Thanks for sharing, and I love the name of the lane - I wish I lived nearby! :)

Carol Baldwin said...

Glad you enjoyed the fun evening and wow--what a great street sign!

Rosi said...

Sounds like a really fun evening. Thanks for the post.

Kasey @ The Story Sanctuary said...

How fun! I have the latest book in the series, but I haven't read the earlier books. It sounds like such a great series, though. It's always fun to meet a dynamic author like this. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)